Collaborative Learning Feedback
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collaborative Learning Feedback

This is a space for students to engage in a discourse with their instructor of English writing and their fellow classmates

You are not connected. Please login or register

Introduction to the class forum

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Introduction to the class forum Empty Introduction to the class forum Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Admin

Admin

-To participate in the forum, I ask that you all create usernames that allow you to post and reply to threads. Email me and me only your usernames so I can keep track of who is and isn't participating.
-I intend for this to be a place primarily for students to talk, and for me to respond only when I feel it is necessary or when a student directly asks me a question.
-The schedule of when we are all expected to post/respond to posts will be further discussed in class
-The purpose of the forum is to ensure all of the students in the class reflect on the teaching methods used in class and voice their opinion of how effective, useful, interesting, engaging, fun, etc. these methods are. Student feedback is vital to help instructors such as myself adapt to each class' learning needs as a community of people
-This semester we are going to research and study different theories of teaching. When you come across teaching methods you believe would be particularly helpful, effective, etc. in the classroom, I want you to share them with this class.
-I believe that color coding our threads may be a good way to organize our thoughts, so here is a list of topics I think is appropriate as a basis (subject to change depending upon what you all as a class think is important):
Red: Particular class meetings you found enlightening and why.
Orange: Main ideas: sections from class readings/lectures you think should be highlighted and perhaps expanded upon
Brown: The best ways to approaching texts in class discussion
Green: Questions/Concerns: A question you have about a text, something that concerns you about an assignment, etc. that was not covered in class
Blue: Peer Reflection: (we will be doing a lot of peer review in class) offer ideas of how your peers can improve their writing, reading, and discussion of texts
Purple: Dear Teacher: send some constructive criticism my way. What works in the classroom? What doesn't work? What would the class like to happen and not happen in future class periods? [/color]
Black: Miscellaneous. For something fun, something not quite relevant, something you've noticed in other classes. Or it could be a funny YouTube video you think definitely relates to that one thing we said last Wednesday in class.

We could also agree to color code individual responses (black probably being generic, not having a specific meaning) to clearly distinguish the purpose and meaning of responses. Just a thought.

The overall point: This is a space where I want us all to, rather than in class where there can be a lot of pressure to think of a response on the spot, put forth our ideas without fear of criticism or consequence. However, I do expect a certain degree of tact and respectfulness when responding to me and your peers.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

https://collaborativewriting.board-directory.net

Admin

Admin

Dear Professor:
I think that the method of reviewing texts in class we used today was really helpful. Moving through a text together as a class step by step helped to clear any confusion and I was able to better grasp what the author was saying. This also helped me pick out the main points of the author's text.  Very Happy

Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

3Introduction to the class forum Empty Re: Reading Paragraph By Paragraph Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Admin

Admin

I agree with this post. I had trouble with the author we read for class that day, and moving slowly through the text cleared up a lot of things for me. Maybe we should use this method for texts that we all agree as a class are particularly challenging.

4Introduction to the class forum Empty Youtube video about collborative learning Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Admin

Admin

I wanted to share this with the class in light of our recent discussion on collaborative learning, and how the theory is useful in many different areas of study (text is black for misc topic)

youtube.com/watch?v=rWEwv_qobpU

5Introduction to the class forum Empty Questions About Assignment #1 Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Admin

Admin

I'm worried that I won't be able to find enough sources or reliable, useful sources for my project. My topic/thesis is _____, does anyone in the class have any ideas on where I can look to find good sources for this? Thanks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum